Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Making Christmas Last All Year!

I love Christmas time, I love decorating, baking, spending time with friends and family...I LOVE that FEELING that is in the air of "Peace On Earth, Good Will Towards Men".

I know I am not the only one who wishes the "Spirit" of Christmas could last all year.  And so this year I am going to celebrate EVERY month!  In some small way I am going to celebrate the gift of love and grace that God has given to us all. I am going to try to find some way on the 25th of each month to keep the "Spirit" alive in my heart and hopefully the hearts of others.

I hope some of you will join me in this adventure.  Not only do I think it will bring a smile to the face of others but I truly believe it will enrich mine and my husbands life as well.

This month I set a goal to mail out "Thank You" notes for Christmas gifts.  I LOVE getting hand written notes in the mail and I love writing notes to my friends.  Encouragement to complete this task came as we watched the evening news last night;  a human interest story about a man who started writing "Thank You" notes a few years ago and the effect it had on his life, felt like a nudge from Heaven, that I am on the right track.

Whether it is writing a note or letter or one of the other suggestions I have listed below.  I hope you will all go grab your calendars and plan out a year of Christmas.  I look forward to hearing other suggestions of how to "celebrate" and also how your Christmas adventures go!



1. A hand written note to: family, friend, co-worker, neighbor...etc.
2. Volunteering at a local food-bank or soup kitchen.(They need help YEAR ROUND!)
3. Mow your neighbors yard/Shovel sidewalk.
4. Call up a friend and tell her/him you are bringing dinner over. Don't worry if you are not a cook!  Stores now sell great containers of soup in the deli; paired with a loaf of french bread and a pint of ice cream well put a smile on their face!
5. Drop of a box of chocolates at your neighborhood Fire or Police Department.
6. Offer up help with housecleaning.  Two friends+music+fellowship= a good time and a clean house.
7. Coffee or Beverage date with someone you haven't taken time with in a while.
8. Clean your closets~deliver clothes you have not worn in a year to a local men/women's shelter.
9. Babysit for a single parent.
10. Offer up your "Gift" that God has created in you. Example: My husband is GREAT at working on cars and he loves doing it for others.

OK..there are a few ideas.  Finally one that might get you started and for sure will take up 5 months of this year.  A little something that was forwarded to me on Facebook, just cut and paste to your status message:

Pay it Forward in 2011: I promise to send something handmade to the first 5 people who leave a comment here. They must in turn post this and send something they make to the first 5 people who comment on their status. The rules are that it must be handmade by you and it must be sent to your 5 people sometime in 2011. Come on! it will be fun!

2 comments:

  1. I love this...I am going to try and join you, except I will start next month, seeing it is 7:00pm on the 25th. I did a New Years resolution like this a few years back when I was living with Spouse. My resolution was to do something "Fun" every month. Feb = out to Sushi every Tuesday, March = trip to Vancouver, etc... It was the only resolution I have ever kept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Hopefully a few others will start in February too. We went through our calendar and planned something out every month so we won't forget. I LOVE your idea of "FUN" too...I think we might implement that as well.

    ReplyDelete