Friday, February 11, 2011

Recycled Hearts

My mom says that even as a kid I was "Earth conscience" ...but NOW I really feel a sense of urgency when it comes to respecting the GIFT that the Earth is to us.   
 
I also feel our society has turned too disposable.  How often do we THINK before we throw something away? When was the last time you took something to be repaired instead of buying something new? In some ways I think this attitude ebbs into our relationships as well.

I could go into a huge diatribe about how wasteful we Americans are and how I would really like us to value not only our resources but also, each other more.   Instead, I want to talk about ways you can NOT be wasteful.  How you can re-purpose items you might readily throw away and in turn, make a co-worker, friend or loved one smile.

Valentines is just a few days away and I love giving gifts. This is a perfect time for me to take some containers I have saved from the land-fill and turn them into something fun.  Two Slim-Jim canisters will carry treats to my niece and nephew in Idaho and a plastic deli bowl will be the perfect vessel for cookies. (I am not saying who that is for, they might read this) *smile*

 All you need on hand for these cute quick carriers is: Scissors, Double Stick Tape or Glue and Paper of your choice.  (I buy sheets of scrap-booking paper, use wrapping paper or cut up brown paper bags..another way to re-purpose).  If you are going to mail the carriers/containers you will also want: Super Glue and or Clear Packing Tape.

Not only will you be saving our land-fills, you will also be saving money on gift bags and wrapping paper and I betcha the money that you save, your friends and family will LOVE the creativity and care you put in. 


Recycled/Repurposed Containers

1. Pour yourself a glass of your favorite beverage, turn off the T.V, turn on your favorite C.D.

2. Measure and cut paper to size of area you want to cover.

3. Apply Double Stick tape  along edges and in middle area of what you want to cover. (You can use glue-stick or glue if you wish.  I like the adhesive power and ease of use, Double Stick Tape provides)

4. Press paper firmly to area that has been prepped.

5. If using containers for mail, apply super glue to inner rim of lid and place on container.  You might also want to add some clear packing tape.  *I checked with the local Post Office.  They will mail anything as long as it is properly packed/secured*


All you need!


Apply adhesive, then paper of your choice.


From "Slim" to P-H...PHAT!

                                              
The Stuffings.


Off to Idaho.


 "Forget LOVE, I'd rather have Chocolate" written in Pink Sharpe. 
You can add even more decorations.

HOW easy is THAT?  Your kids will LOVE this as a project as well!

You can also use these containers as storage around your house.  In your bathroom, office, garage, for your children's toys.....the uses are ENDLESS!

Other uses for re-purposing containers:
  • Leftovers (Remember to NOT reheat in these containers or put hot foods in them).
  • Carry home containers for dinner guests.
  • Fill with sand or beans~great noisemakers for your toddlers.
  • Toy storage
  • In camp bin (sooo many uses for containers like these when camping.  From food storage to bug collecting)
  • Vase for graveside flowers or drop and dash on a friends doorstop.
  • Donate to local school or daycare.
  • The list and decoration possibilities are endless as your imagination!

A easy decorative solution for office storage
or
fill me up and tie a bow on me for a fun gift wrap!

End cost~Approx. $.60

Now, stop throwing those plastic containers away or even in the recycle bin, re-purpose and re-use. 

OH! and Happy Heart Day to you all~xoxo Stacey

2 comments: