Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sloppy Joe Pizza

Like most kids, when I was younger, I always wanted "name-brand" food.  I wanted Libby's on the label, Wonder Bread and Coca~Cola not Cragmont. It is only now that I am grown up, that I can appreciate the love and care that went into home-canned fruits and vegetables, fresh baked bread, the value of pinching a penny and the yummy results.  It is now that I can TASTE the difference between processed food and homemade, such a wonderful, wondrous difference!

So now that I am grown-up and KNOW BETTER, it is gratifying for me to make Sloppy Joe's the way my mom taught me, from scratch...not the Manwhich I desired in my youth, but just as easy and sooo much tastier.

The only twist I have put on my mom's recipe is by getting rid of the bun and serving the goopy goodness on a pizza crust.  This came from trying to cut down on carb's in my diet and in the end, me and my husband have come to prefer "Sloppy Joe Pizza" over Sloppy Joe's on a bun.

The first cooking trick I utilize with this recipe is cutting my ground beef with ground turkey.  This saves on calories, fat content and even your budget as ground turkey ring up at a lower cost than ground beef.  When cooked together the turkey will take in the flavors of the beef and you really will be hard pressed to notice it is in there.

My second trick is using "Boboli Pizza Crust".  Now, after my spiel about "name brand and store bought" I might be confusing you, BUT not only is it a time a saver, it is also the perfect base to support what will be piled on top.  While I will always advocate homemade, there are times I think it is OK to utilize pre-made/processed foods.

You can find the crusts at your grocer and sometimes even at the bread outlets.  They come made with white flour or with whole wheat flour and cost less the $4.00, at a grocery/bakery outlet as low as $1.00.  If you have the time, by all means make a THICK pizza crust but for this recipe, I recommend "Boboli" or even English Muffins as they share that bready, chewy texture that I LOVE!

Please let me know what you think or if you have any questions ~ Enjoy!

Sloppy Joe Pizza

3/4 lb. Lean Ground Beef
3/4 lb. Ground Turkey
1/2 C. Minced/Finely Diced Yellow Onion
1 C. Ketchup
1 T. Worcestershire Sauce
2 T. Mustard
2 T. Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 C. Dark Brown Sugar (More if you want a sweeter taste)
1 t. Garlic Powder (You can saute 1 minced clove of garlic if you prefer)
If you are feeling adventuresome and like some spice, a couple squirts of Sriracha is divine!
Kosher Salt
Fresh Cracked Pepper

1-2 C. Grated Monterrey Jack or Colby Jack Cheese (As much or as little as you want)

Optional Toppings- Diced Onion, Green/Red or Yellow Bell Pepper, Avocado Slices.

Preheat oven, 375 degrees.  *Please see note below*

In a dutch oven or deep frying pan, brown ground turkey, beef  and onions together working the mixture together as it browns.
  1. Once meat/onion mixture is browned, add remaining ingredients, salt and pepper to personal taste. 
  2. Taste the mixture, you may want to add a wee bit more sugar or mustard depending on your personal preference.
  3. Let mixture simmer for 15 minutes to make sure your spices bloom.
  4. MOUND the meat mixture on top of crust, top with cheese and other toppings and bake for 20-25 minutes at 375 Degrees.

Mounded up.....

....ready to cook!


One slice is like one Sloppy Joe, this recipe serves 6 people, paired with a green salad and it is a quick, nutritious and easy meal!

Double your batch, and pile on top of English Muffins for a great party snack~men and kids LOVE these!

*OK, here is a tricky part!  I don't have a pizza stone and I like my crust crispy on the bottom.  So, before I preheat the oven I take a rack out of my oven to assemble pizza on top of rack.  Then with pizza on top, carefully put rack back in oven. When it is done, use a large pancake turner/spatula and slide out onto pizza, cookie sheet or cutting board.  For a less crusty bottom, just cook pizza on a cookie or pizza sheet.


Goopy, gooey, tomato-y, sweet and savory goodness!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, it looks like heaven! Good job. I can hardly wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sloppy joes, this looks so good, I will have to make it sometime!!! I make a Taco Pizza that was a favorite of my kids growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so yummy, I am going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! Let me know what you think when you try it. Debbie, I love Taco Pizza! How do you make yours? I put a base of refriend beans, then taco meat, then salsa, cheese, onions and peppers. Out of the oven I drizzle a chile powder spiced sour cream. I would love to hear how you make yours.
    Thanks for your support ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that looks devine! I'm trying that this week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete